Sunday, September 30, 2012

What is your... quirk?

Tanya brought up a very good point.  As people who want to learn an instrument that can be heard for a 1/2 mile, we all likely have odd hobbies.

So what do you do when you are not piping, doing your job, searching the internet about information about piping, practicing your chanter at stop lights or trying to figure out which is the best reed for you?

To make us all feel normal, let's list off some of favorite past times. 

Mine: Quilting, reading, blogging, and working on my house.  Random dance moves in the living room when now one can hear the music.  Masters degree student.  Code writing in Visual Basic for kicks.  Gardener.  Cook for those who need a meal.  Workaholic.  Generally speaking, my hobbies are quiet, this seems to be my "HELLO WORLD, I'm here" hobby.  I'm going to do it loud and I'm going to do it proud.

What do you do when you aren't piping?

6 comments:

  1. I bake when I'm bored, and I read a LOT. I also play with unreliable, untrustworthy, break all the time for no apparent reason, little British sports cars. I used to run a lot, but I'm mostly a treadmill runner now. And I'm retired, so I can spend all day trying to perfect one tiny little phrase in a piping tune if I want to-that's why the laundry never gets done around here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laundry is entirely overrated. But then, I'm getting a new dryer on Saturday and may have a whole different viewpoint starting then!

      Delete
  2. My hobbies are few, and mostly normal. Being a Dad to a young family doesn't leave much spare time (or energy).
    So other than piping, my hobbies would be motorcycling, reading and knot craft (current medium - paracord).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy reading in my quiet time - brain candy and mysteries mostly.

    Knot craft has always interested me. Is it hard to get into?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books for me are usually fantasy.
    Knot craft isn't too tricky to get into. There are heaps of great videos on youtube. Check out TAIT if you want to use paracord but I am pretty sure you could use almost any cord of a similar thickness.

    I am keeping it pretty simple, I have made a few braclets for my kids and some mats for under pots and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that should have been TIAT (tying it all together)
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TyingItAllTogether

      Delete