Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Questions...


Since I started my Adventures in Piping, I’ve gotten many questions from friends, colleagues and pretty much anyone who will sit still long enough for me to gleefully tell them that I’m learning to play the bagpipes.

About playing:
“When do I get to hear you play?”  I don’t know.  I’ve been playing for a solid two weeks.  It’ll be a while yet.
“Are you going to start playing with Railroad Piper?” I’d love to, when I’m good enough.  It’ll be a while yet.
“How much do those things cost?” I don’t know as I haven’t bought one.  I have a practice chanter that was really quite reasonable and a teacher who hasn’t heard of inflation since the 1980’s, so thus far it’s been a really cheap hobby.  As for buying pipes?  It will be a while yet.
“Can you play that song, you know… dum dum da dum di da da…”  Scotland the Brave?  Um… No.  It’ll be a while yet.
“Are they awkward to hold?” I don’t know.  I haven’t actually touched one.  It’ll… be… a while… yet….

 Crazy Cat Lady related:
“Do they make earplugs for cats?”  Regretfully, no they don’t.
“How are your cats taking this?”  One runs and hides, the other sits in front of me and sings along (or she’s yelling, “WHY GOD WHY?” I’m really not sure).
“Do your cats hate you?” Actually, the younger one has taken to more cuddles since I started this.  I suspect he is thinking, “okay, the longer I sit here and purr, the longer it will be until she goes back to trying to kill that duck I can’t find.”  Regardless, everybody wins.
“Do you hate your cats?” What kind of question is that?  I love them.  They support me completely.

General Commentary:
“You know, some people take up drugs or buy expensive cars when they get older.”  Oh, good to know.  Thanks.  Anything you’d care to share?
“You are pretty much trying to guarantee that you’re never getting married again, huh?”  Oh, yeah, THAT’s the reason I’m never getting married again.
“You know there’s some weirdo who plays at lunch.”  REALLY?  You are the judge of “weirdo”?
“Yeah, someone took up bagpipes in my neighborhood a few years ago.  Home values dropped like pancakes.”  Oh, yeah, blame the piper, not the overall economic condition.  Nice.
“Those things are hideous.”  Well, I never liked you anyway.
“Those things are awesome!”  I think we can be very good friends.

So if you are reading this and trying to decide to take up the pipes, there will be questions and commentary that range from inquisitive to insane.   Oh, and it’s addictive, be prepared for that.  But it absolves you of the need to take up drugs or buy expensive cars as you age. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha!!! I love your writing style...thanks for plunging into the blog! I'm 3.5 yrs into my own journey on the pipes and its still just as much fun as the first day. I don't put in nearly as much practice as in that first year, which makes me wonder how much better I would be if I did...

    Definitely follow your instructors advice, however, start thinking about the pipes you want now. Go to band practice and listen to everyones pipes, talk to them about their set ups, decide what YOU like to hear...one thing you will get is 200 different opinions about what is "best." It ends up being different for everyone and you will probably end up trying different combinations, but remember that it will take you a few years to really be able to hear/feel the difference anyway. Listen to lots of pipe music.

    I look forward to following you on your journey! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    Thank you so much for your feedback!

    I find it funny that of all the instruments that I've played, this one EVERYONE tells you "Practice with Purpose" and don't tinker with "Mary had a Little Lamb" until you have mastered the pass with scales and arpeggio's. I am trying hard to heed that warning, but Scots Whe Hae is calling.

    I will heed your advice and start looking at the pipes I want in a month. I fear right now it may be a "cart vs. horse" issue.

    Kind regards,
    Cate

    ReplyDelete