Thursday, August 16, 2012

And just when I get started...

Life has gotten busy with outside events so I haven't been able to practice as per my plan.  I knew when I started along this journey that this week would be challenging for getting my time in.

What I find strange is that though my practice right now is basics and I still find the hand position awkward, I miss it.  I've only had my chanter for 8 days, and of those I've only been able to work with it 4.  Today I found myself practicing scales and arpeggio's on my steering wheel driving home.  I have heard that some practice with their chanters when stuck in traffic, but I'm far from there.

I also realize that I need to find a dedicated spot in my basement for practice.  The few moments I have had this week to pick up my pipe I've also gotten side tracked on other things.  Granted, my mind has been going a mile a minute with other things, but I think by creating that space I will also cleanse my mind when I walk into it.  Tomorrow I will set up my space with my chair, my music stand and my metronome.  No phone, no computer.

I suspect this will help me get my basement organized because if I'm having a bad day with practice I will blame it on the chaos of the basement, do some organizing and go back to the pipe.

Really, everybody wins.


No comments:

Post a Comment