Friday, August 31, 2012

Ironic...

The root canal was an amazing success!  Not only was it completed in under two hours, he was able to do the entire clean out and fill the tooth on the same day.  My jaw pain is gone, the headache is gone and aside from being tired, I feel great.  I have a fantastic dentist.

So today as I prepare to return to the pipe (Bagpipe Practice Chanter, nothing drug related...) Lifehacker puts out a very nice piece on how to optimize your practice sessions.  It takes what my instructor said about "Practice with Purpose" and expands on it.  It's a good read for us newbies as well as those who've been at it for a bit.

http://lifehacker.com/5939374/a-better-way-to-practice

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog and the lifehacker piece was great too. I've been playing pipes for a few years now so I still consider myself slightly above novice! but a piece of advice I wish I had when starting out. Start playing by memory now. Scales obviously shouldn't be a problem but once you can play an scale, exercise, tune, etc drop the dots. I am great with the notes in front of me but when it came time to leave the printed page and play from memory my playing suffered. I've since started practicing bar by bar until I own it and my playing has significantly improved. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete