Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stuff. Ya like stuff?


I sit here the nervous dental patient awaiting the next 10 hours to come and go.  The last week I have been absolutely exhausted from the discomfort from my tooth and yesterday I drank in excess of 9 cups of coffee just to stay awake at work.  Today I lost count somewhere around #6 in the afternoon (I normally drink 2 cups a day).  A few hours ago I was having trouble keeping my eyes open during a heated game of Rummikub.  Now when all I have to do is go to sleep, wake up and have a root canal? 

I AM SO AWAKE!

Here I am, unable to sleep, unable to practice and really done searching for interesting piping websites (there are many out there, no?) wondering what to do with myself.  So I figured I’d tell you a little more about my non-Piper Girl life.

How I pay the bills:  I’m a jack of all trades Market Analyst for an automotive OEM in Detroit.  I’m very lucky in that I like what I do, I like the people I do it for and I generally agree with what my organization is trying to accomplish. 

Where I live: I own a 73 year old house that provides endless amounts of entertainment in the form of repairs and upkeep.  I'm in the out-skirts of Detroit in a very cute community that I've enjoyed for over 10 years. Through this adventure I’ve learned a lot about plumbing, electrical, HVAC systems, roofing, tile and various other odds and ends of home ownership over the years.  I’m not afraid to grab a wrench, drill or duct tape and get ‘er done.

Hobby #1: Cooking.  And not just ordinary day to day cooking (actually, I hate that).  I love the big, the extraordinary, the “this will get them talking” over the top kind of cooking.  I have a microwave simply to melt caramel and hold my knife block.  One of my favorite sports is going out to eat at new places and dissecting their recipe with my tongue.

Hobby #2: Quilting.  I love the pull of the needle and thread on a cold winter night in front of a warm toasty fire.  Making quilts is like making a hug that can span over miles.  I curl up Schroeder style in front of a hoop and let the needle rock me into a place of Zen while listening to a book, “watching” tv or just enjoying the echoing sounds of silence.  In case you are wondering, yes, I am only 39.  I've been quilting for 17 years.

Hobby #3: Master’s Degree Student.  I’m slowly working on a Master’s Degree and find that place of “student hood” to be a great place to run and hide when reality gets to be too much and I need to throw on some blinders.  It’s remarkably effective.

Hobby #4: Now I'm a piperwannabe.  I'll let you know how that goes.

That’s me in a nutshell.

5 comments:

  1. Hobby #4: You're a piper in training! Piper wannabes are the people who make up excuses not to practice, and I hope you don't become one of those people!

    I too am a student, finishing my undergraduate this year. A big problem I found when I moved away from home to University (near Toronto, Canada) is I lost contact with the pipers I knew. I found it very difficult to continue on piping when I had no one to guide me or correct some silly mistakes I had. I used to pipe on campus hoping to attract other students who pipe, but no one ever showed up.

    Fast forward 3 years and I found a pipe band and solid instructor that is drilling the bad habits, developed by 3 years solitary, out of my hands.

    Keep up the good work, and I hope the root canal goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Huh, hadn't thought of that. I guess I am....

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The most unbelievable part of this video is when the cats are crossing the stream...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

      Delete